Below are the tools, references and techniques that we’ve discussed during our O.F.F. podcast episodes. We hope they provide you with some insight and assistance on your journey.
The Aftermath - Episode 6
Don’t leave any money on the table. Check to see if you’re eligible for unemployment benefits. You can start with the Federal site and then go to your specific state. https://www.usa.gov/unemployment
A good objective resource for information on financial investment, tools, etc., can be found on the website www.FINRA.org where you can also do a Financial Broker Check to look at their history and ratings.
Branding: Personal Reflection - Episode 7
A Personal Casita is a framework that can help you develop your strategic plan by identifying WHAT is important to you both personally and professionally. We recommend starting with your areas of focus and key activities (your pillars) and then laddering them up to your key strategies and vision statement. This can be used as a foundation to all your branding activities.
Branding: Personal Reflection - Episode 8
Check out these books which may help you in identifying what you really want from life both professionally and personally and how it all fits together.
"Design the Life You Love" by Ayse Birsel
"Life by Design" by Miranda Hersey
Branding: Personal Reflection - Episode 9
Fascination Personality Test is a tool to measure how people perceive your communication style. This test was developed by Sally Hogshead, who is known as a World-class branding expert. You can take the personality test for free at: http://www.howtofascinate.com
Branding - Resumes, First Impression -
Jobcan.co is an online program that allows you to
compare your resume with the job description. You
can either sign up for a free subscription with limitations
on number of scans or a paid subscription that offers
unlimited scans and extra tools and capabilities.
Branding - Five Key Principles - Episode 11
Five Key Principles
- Don’t Do This by Yourself
- First Impressions are Everything
- Self-assessment is Foundational to Building your Brand
- Branding, What is Unique and Memorable about You?
- Networking is NOT an Activity but a Capability
Personal Branding Resource
Check out Dorie Clark who has extensively written on personal branding. You can listen to her on YouTube and TED Talks.
Branding: Executive Presence & Up-credentialing - Episode 14
Here are some reference books that may help in understanding how you may need to up-credential:
- "The Industries of Tomorrow" by Alec Ross
- "Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future" by Martin Ford
Networking - Navigating the Waters of Linkedin - Episode 18
Below are recognized professionals that post and comment on Linkedin to help others with networking and job searching. Click on their name to go directly to their Linkedin page.
- Andrienne Tom - Executive Resume Writer, Career & Job Search Strategist and Forbes Contributor
- Hannah Morgan - Job Search Strategist, Speaker & Trainer, Career Sherpa.net
- Liz Ryan - Founder and CEO, Human Workplace; Author, "Reinvention Roadmap"
- Marc Miller - Career Pivot | Author = Repurpose Your Career A Practical Guide for the 2nd Half of Life | Forbes Top 100 Career Website
Networking - Getting Social, Part 2 - Episode 20
Check out two networking experts / speakers:
- Absolutely Abby - Job Search Secrets
- Rob Thomas of CT - Transform Your Connections
Networking - Networking with a Little Third Party Help - Episode 21
A Prime (fee-based) Linkedin subscription always users to see:
- Who is viewing your profile allowing subscribers to look up those people and send customized invites to those that may be helpful.
- Comparisons of your skill sets (as stated in your profile) vs the Job Description and the other candidates who have applied. Tying this back to the Recruiter Search algorithm, knowing how many aspects or skills you have that “match” the JD vs other candidates really helps. It gives you the opportunity to include the relevant information Recruiters (internal and independent) seek!